Germinating peas is easy if you prepare them correctly and follow the instructions. This product is good for men, women and children, vegetarians and raw foodists. Not all seeds can be germinated; this must be done correctly. There are contraindications and restrictions on the use of the product in food.
What does a pea sprout look like?
The photo of sprouted peas shows that the integrity of the shell is violated in the process. White sprouts appear, the embryos of which are located between the cotyledons protecting it. They can be straight or sinuous, thicker at the base, tapering to the tip.
In a day, the length of the sprouts can reach 1.5 cm, the process does not stop there
Is it possible to eat sprouted peas
Peas are germinated not only for planting, but also for food. They are tasty and healthy for men, women, children. On sale you can find a product with a special mark “for germination”. After proper preparation, it is consumed raw and added to various dishes.
Useful properties of sprouted peas
Legumes contain many valuable elements. The benefits of sprouted peas include the following properties:
- lowering the level of bad cholesterol;
- prevention of disorders of the digestive system;
- normalization of blood sugar;
- reducing the risk of diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- elimination of toxins from the body;
- anti-aging effect;
- prevention of anemia;
- acceleration of metabolism;
- elimination of puffiness;
- normalization of pressure;
- getting rid of heartburn;
- reducing the risk of thyroid disease;
- prevention of constipation.
Sprouted peas are good for men. The product is rich in amino acids, which are essential for the normal functioning of the prostate gland. Its regular use reduces the risk of diseases of the genitourinary system. This is especially important for men over 40.
Pea sprouts are also useful for children. The product contains many valuable elements that are important for the growth and development of the body. The inclusion of such food in the diet of adolescents helps to get rid of age-specific acne.
Pea sprouts are good for vegetarians and vegans who don't get the protein they need due to a lack of animal foods
Harm and contraindications
The benefits and harms of such a product should be studied before eating pea sprouts. Healthy people can safely include it in the diet, but observing the measure. It is not recommended to consume dairy products at the same time, as this is fraught with increased gas production.
You should consume no more than 70 g of pea seedlings per day. Increase the volume of the product gradually, starting from 1 tsp. in a day. After a week, in the absence of negative consequences, the portion can be increased to 1 tbsp. l., after a month before 30 g.
Regular and sprouted peas are not suitable for everyone. The list of contraindications is small:
- urolithiasis disease;
- acute nephritis;
- exacerbation of inflammatory pathologies of the digestive system;
- increased blood clotting.
What peas can sprout at home
For germinating pea seeds at home, it is important to choose the right raw material. Not every product will work.
Is it possible to sprout peas from the store
You can sprout store peas, but the result depends on several factors. The shelf life is especially important, since over time the seeds lose their germination. You should pay attention to the product in packages marked "for germination". This can be found in large supermarkets, health food stores.
Is it possible to germinate split peas
The chances of sprouting pea halves are negligible. The problem is that the embryos of the shoots are protected by the cotyledons. When the bean is divided into two halves, they are damaged, therefore they cannot germinate. The exception is when the pea is not split in the middle, and the germ of the sprout miraculously survived in one of the parts.
Is it possible to germinate polished peas
Polished peas are suitable for sprouting, but results may not always be obtained. It all depends on the shelf life of the product, the characteristics of its processing.
When grinding the grain, the seed coat is removed, partly the aleurone layer and the embryo. In this case, the ability to germinate is lost. If the embryo is intact, these beans can be germinated.
In addition to grinding, raw materials can undergo hydrothermal treatment. The grain is moistened, steamed and dried for several minutes. This makes it stronger and the shell more fragile. Steaming involves a high temperature that kills the germination ability.
It is better not to take a polished product for germination for food - it loses many valuable elements during processing
Is it possible to germinate frozen peas
It is possible to germinate pea seeds after freezing, but the result is not guaranteed. One of the important factors is the time when the crop was harvested. If this happened before full ripening, then it is unlikely that it will be possible to germinate the grain. The method of freezing is also important. If it was shock, then the chances of germination are higher.
How long does it take to sprout peas
The germination time of peas depends on several factors. Usually the process takes at least 12-14 hours, it can take 1-2 days. The duration of germination depends on the freshness of the processed peas.
How to quickly germinate pea seeds for food
Germinating pea seeds at home for food is easy. To do this, you need to follow certain rules.
Selection and preparation of seeds
You can use yellow or green peas for germination. When buying, be sure to pay attention to the expiration date. If you use self-harvested grain, it is important to follow the rules for storing it.
Before germinating for food, peas must be sorted out, removing all damaged and spoiled specimens. After that, rinse the raw materials in running water and soak. Throw out all floating peas.
To get pea sprouts at home for food, you need to provide the beans with a moist environment. Water should be used purified - bottled, filtered or from proven natural sources.
The germination algorithm is as follows:
- Pour the washed peas into a deep bowl, cover with gauze, add water (room temperature). The raw material should be several times smaller in volume than liquid.
- Place the container in a warm and dark place for 12 hours. It is more convenient to soak the beans overnight.
- Rinse the peas.
- Soak the raw materials again, covering the bowl with gauze.
- Keep peas in water for 24 hours, changing it every four hours.
This method allows you to get sprouts in 1.5 days. You can store them for up to five days. Keep sprouted peas in an airtight container, rinse daily with clean water.
For soaking, use a ceramic, glass or plastic container; metal dishes should be discarded
After the first soak overnight, you can act according to a different algorithm:
- Rinse the peas in running water.
- Cover a plate with damp gauze.
- Spread the beans on top.
- Cover with gauze, moisten it with drinking water.
- Remove the plate to a shaded place.
- Moisten gauze as needed.
In this case, germination will take less than a day, but you will have to constantly monitor the moisture content of the gauze. When the seedlings have reached the desired size, rinse the beans in clean water. Do this every day.
When pea sprouts appear, it is important to keep it in water only until they reach the desired size - 2-3 mm. Further soaking to obtain the product for food will only reduce its value.
Sprouting peas for planting in open ground
Pea sprouts are obtained at home not only for food, but also for planting. It is important to start with the rejection of the seed. Too small, deformed and damaged specimens are unusable, they must be thrown away. Further algorithm:
- Dip the beans in a salt solution - 1 tbsp. per liter of water for a quarter of an hour. Throw out all emerging specimens, they will not germinate.
- Rinse the peas in running water.
- Soak seeds in warm water until they noticeably swell. It takes 12-15 hours.
- Place the beans in a plate, cover with damp gauze, and remove to a warm and dark place.
- After a few days, rinse the seeds in running water, repeat the algorithm.
Germination for planting takes longer than that for food. The reason is that the seeds are provided with less moisture. This slows down the process, but does not provoke rotting of the planting material.
Possible problems and difficulties
The result is not always obtained, as in the photo of sprouted peas at home. Such problems often arise:
- The peas failed to germinate. The reason usually lies in the loss of germination - the seeds lay for a long time, the embryos of the sprouts were damaged during processing.
- Mold appeared - the grain was poorly washed, a rare change of water, the container was in the sunlight, dirty dishes.
- Low percentage of sprouted beans - old peas used, not rejected.
- Grain spoils, does not germinate - there is not enough oxygen during germination, the absence of which causes fermentation.
Germinating peas for food or planting is not difficult if you follow all the rules. It is important to choose high-quality raw materials, not to neglect their preparation, especially rejection. Pea sprouts are useful for food, but observe the recommended dosages. The product has contraindications, ignoring them can have a bad effect on health.